originates from Hungary but lived in "Cheo
(may be now Simleu
He had 6
children. Some were killed during the war, in Auschwitz
or in labor camps. Others settled in Israel.
Pinchas Porges Lived in Oradea (Transylvania) and
was a wealthy and locally famous wood trader.
He perished with
all his family in Auschwitz in 1944.
Porges lived in Turda, Transylvania.
He moved to Jerusalem and
has one daughter who lives in Los angeles (USA) Meir
Porges, died in a labor camp in Turda, during WWII Matilda
Porges, died during the wars Lea
Porges, died during the war Hiku
Porges, died during the war
Porges (b. 1894, d. 1972).
Escaped the Germans, stayed
in Turda, was forced to hard labor.
Porges (b. 1924). Went to Israel alone in 1946 , as a
Zionist, was captured and transfered to Cyprus for 6 months.
He eventually arrived to Israel in 1947, fought the War of
Independance and, with a group of people, established kibbutz
Shoresh close to Jerusalem, where he
lives today (2012). It is a beautiful moshav.
Porges (who provided the present family information) Asher
Porges, returned to Oradia after the war, then moved to
Israel in 1965.
He has one son, Meir Porges, who is a lawyer in Tel Aviv.
Itzko Porges, was murdered in Aschwitz (1944)
Source : Batya
Shoresh (Hebrew: שורש, שֹׁרֶשׁ, lit. Root) is a moshav shitufi
in the Jerusalem Corridor, Israel, under the jurisdiction of Mateh
Yehuda Regional Council. Located five kilometres from Sha'ar HaGai,
it covers an area of 7,500 dunams (2.9 mi or 7.5 km). In 2006,
it had a population of 577.
On April 15, 1948, the Harel Brigade captured the Arab village
of Saris overlooking the highway to Jerusalem.
The strategic hilltop
position had been used to fire on Jewish vehicles traveling on
the road below
That year, a group of immigrants from Eastern Europe founded a
kibbutz on the site, adapting the name of the abandoned village.
Four years later, it became a moshav. Today Shoresh operates a
hotel, conference center and banquet hall.
In July 1995, a fire virtually destroyed the moshav's poultry and
orchard industries, damaged the hotel, and left over half the moshav
Şimleu Silvaniei (Romanian
pronunciation: [ʃimˌle.u silˈvani.ej]; Hungarian: Szilágysomlyó,
German: Schomlenmarkt) is a town in Sălaj County, Transylvania,
Romania with a population of 16,066 people (2002 census). Is located
near an ancient Dacian fortress Dacidava.
The Northern Transylvania Holocaust Memorial Museum is located
in Şimleu Silvaniei, Romania and was opened September 11, 2005.
The museum is operated and maintained by the Jewish Architectural
Heritage Foundation of New York and Asociata Memoralia Hebraica
Nuşfalău - a Romanian NGO, with the support of the Claims Conference,
Elie Wiesel National Institute for Studying the Holocaust in Romania,
among other philanthropic and pedagogical partners. Memeorial Museum of Holocaust in Northern
The old synagogue of Şimleu Silvaniei was erected in 1876. During
the height of its use, the synagogue was used for worship and religious
ceremonies by Jewish families from the City of Şimleu Silvaniei
as well as surrounding villages such as Giurtelecu Şimleului and
Nuşfalău. In May/June 1944, the area's Jewish population was forced
out of their homes into the brutal Cehei ghetto and from there
packed into cattle cars and transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Over 160,000 Jews from the region perished. Of those few remaining
Jews who survived the Holocaust and remained in Romania, the last
Jewish family emigrated from the region during the mid-1960s, while
the country was still under Communist rule. The loss of its congregation
left the Synagogue to fate, decaying silently over time.
Through the inspiration of Mihaela Gross; then a local student,
Adam Aaron Wapniak, a Brooklyn native and Architect, became interested
in the abandoned synagogue's restoration on a 2003 visit, sparking
the interest of Dr. Alex Hecht; a New York dentist and son of Holocaust
survivors Zoltan and Stefania Hecht, who was born in the nearby
village of Nuşfalău. Together, they launched a vigorous campaign
driving the restoration project. Their efforts contributed to raising
funds to complete construction, establishing educational criterion,
and supported pedagogical training for the regional school systems.
The Museum now functions as an educational hub and essential resource
for Holocaust Education in the region. Guided tours tailored to
students are offered daily, The museum centerpiece is the synagogue
originally built in 1876.
Under communism, official history in Romania taught that Germans
were the sole perpetrators of the Holocaust, thereby ignoring the
role of the Romanian government in the deportation of hundreds
of thousands of Jews and tens of thousands of Roma (Gypsies) from
Romania during World War II. After the fall of communism in 1989,
wartime leader General Ion Antonescu was semi-rehabilitated and
hailed as a hero by some Romanians, with monuments being erected
across the country to honor the former dictator.
Following 15 years of setbacks, in November 2004, after the presentation
of the Wiesel International Commission’s report to the Romanian
President, Romania finally acknowledged in an official position
the full dimensions of the Romanian Holocaust. Romanian authorities
have begun efforts to educate the public about the Holocaust, it
also banned pro-Nazi propaganda and the cult of war criminals.
In March 2005, the newly elected government under President Traian
Basescu and PM Calin Popescu Tariceanu made a firm commitment to
implement the Wiesel Holocaust Commission’s recommendations on
educating Romanians about the Holocaust and fighting racism in
Thus, the Romanian authorities have taken decisive steps towards
the implementation of a unitary national curriculum concerning
Holocaust education. (Although Holocaust education was introduced
as a mandatory topic in pre-university curricula as of 1998, for
a long time history textbooks have included little (if any), divergent,
and often inaccurate information on the subject). Holocaust education
has been mandatory in Romanian schools, covering 2–4 hours of material
in the context of World War II. In 2004, Holocaust history also
became an optional course. According to an ITF study, the three
main obstacles for Holocaust education facing the Ministry of Education
and Research (MEC), in Romania are: lack of information on the
topic, lack of diversity of information, and too few teachers trained
to teach the topic.
This shift in policy paved the way for the Northern Transylvania
Holocaust Memorial Museum to exercise its commitment to its educational
program. In cooperation with the ministry of Education, the first
ever Holocaust Education Olympiad was hosted at the Museum.
In the Spring of 2008, the Museum inaugurated the Şimleu Silvaniei
Multicultural Holocaust Education and Research Center; used to
host lectures and seminars on the subject, with programs geared
to students, teachers and academics. The teacher program encourages
and helps teachers to sensitively incorporate the subject of the
Holocaust into their curriculum. a discipline sorely lacking in
Romania's school system.
Jewish Architectural Heritage Foundation with its sister organization
Asociata Memoriala Hebraica Nusfalau, is proud to announce the
GRAND OPENING of the Northern Transylvania Holocaust Memorial
Museum In Simleu Silvaniei. The dedication ceremony took place
on September 11th 2005. Why 9/11? Click Here.
A multi-cultural media research center is
now available for the use of visitors as well as the local educational
system. The museum is housed in a 19th century formerly dilapidated
synagogue that was neglected for and vacant for the past 40 years. A small fully functional synagogue is at
the center of the museum floor, available for the use of visitors.
Parts of the original synagogue form the center of this previously
lost cultural treasure. On October 10, 2005, Romania's Holocaust
Remembrance Day, 940 school children as well as hundreds of adults
attended memorial services at the museum. On a daily basis 50-150
people visit the museum including many from around the world. Check
back often for future news and updates.
lies at the meeting point of the Crișana plain and the Crișul
Repede's basin, 12 km from the Hungarian
on the north-eastern part by the hills of Oradea, part of the
Șes hills. It dates back to a small 10th century castle, while
its bishopric was founded during the 11th century by King Ladislaus
I of Hungary. The first documented mention of its name was in
1113 under the Latin name Varadinum. The city flourished during
the 13th century. The Citadel of Oradea, the ruins of which remain
today, was first mentioned in 1241 during the Mongol invasion.
The 14th century was one of the most prosperous periods in the
city's life. Statues of St. Stephen, Emeric and Ladislaus (before
1372) and the equestrian sculpture of St. Ladislaus (1390) were
erected in Oradea. St. Ladislaus' fabled statue was the first
proto-renaissance public square equestrian in Europe. Bishop
Andreas Báthori (1329–1345) rebuilt the cathedral in Gothic style.
From that epoch dates also the Hermes, now preserved at Györ,
which contains the skull of King Ladislaus, and which is a masterpiece
of the Hungarian goldsmith's art.
Georg von Peuerbach worked at the Observatory of Varadinum, using
it as the reference or prime meridian of Earth in his Tabula Varadiensis,
published posthumously in 1464.
In 1474 the city was devastated by the Turks. It was not until
the 16th century that Oradea started growing as an urban area.
The Peace of Várad was concluded between Ferdinand I and John Zápolya
here on February 4, 1538, in which they mutually recognized each
other to be king. In the 18th century, the Viennese engineer Franz
Anton Hillebrandt planned the city in the Baroque style and, starting
from 1752, many landmarks were constructed such as the Roman Catholic
Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace, presently the Muzeul Țării Crișurilor
("The Museum of the Criș-es land").
After the Ottoman invasion of Hungary in the 16th century, the
city was administered at various times by the Principality of Transylvania,
the Ottoman Empire, and the Habsburg Monarchy. In 1598, the fortress
was besieged and, on August 27, 1660, Oradea fell to the Turks
and became the capital of Varat Province. This eyalet had Varat
(Oradea), Salanta, Debreçin (formerly part of Budin and Eğri Eyalets),
Halmaș, Sengevi and Yapıșmaz sanjaks. The siege is described in
detail by Szalárdy János in his contemporary chronicle. The city
was seized by the Habsburg-led German-Hungarian-Croatian forces
in September 1692. The Hungarian Revolution of 1848 played an important
role in the city's history. It was the home of largest Hungarian
arms factory while Debrecen was the temporary seat of the Hungarian
In the second half of the 19th century literary nicknames for the
town included "Hungarian Compostela", "Felix civitas", "Paris
on the River Pece", "the City of Tomorrow", "Athens
on the Körös", and "the City of Yesterday". These
nicknames are not widely used today, although "Paris on the
River Pece" is still utilized sometimes.
As a consequence of Hungary's role in World War I, the Treaty of
Trianon awarded Oradea to the Kingdom of Romania. Under the Second
Vienna Award brokered by Hitler and Mussolini in 1940, Hungary
reoccupied North Transylvania, including Oradea, but, being on
the losing side again, had to relinquish claims to it under the
Treaty of Paris concluded on February 10, 1947.
In 1925 the status of municipality was given to Oradea dissolving
its former civic autonomy. Under the same ordinance its name was
changed from Oradea Mare ("Great" Oradea) to simply Oradea.
Ethnic tensions sometimes ran high in the area in the past but
the different ethnic groups now generally live together in harmony,
thriving on each other's contributions to modern culture. There
are many mixed Romanian-Hungarian families in Oradea, with children
assimilating into both of their parents' cultures and learning
to speak both languages.
The chevra kadisha ("holy
society") was founded in 1735, the first synagogue in 1803,
and the first communal school in 1839. Not until the beginning
of the 19th century were Jews permitted to do business in any other
part of the city, and even then they were required to return at
nightfall to their own quarter. In 1835 permission was granted
to live in any part of the city.
The Jewish community of Oradea became divided into Orthodox and
Reform congregations. While the members of the Reform congregation
still retained their membership in the chevra kadisha, they started
to use a cemetery of their own in 1899. In the early 20th century,
the Jews of Oradea had won prominence in the public life of the
city. There were Jewish manufacturers, merchants, lawyers, physicians
and farmers; the chief of police (1902) was a Jew; and in the municipal
council, the Jewish element was proportionately represented. The
community possessed, in addition to the hospital and chevra kadisha,
a Jewish women's association, a grammar school, a trade school
for boys and girls, a yeshiva, a soup kitchen etc.
According to the Center for Jewish Art:
The Oradea Jewish community was once the most active both commercially
and culturally in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1944, twenty-five
thousand Oradean Jews were deported to concentration camps by the
Nazis, thus decimating this vital community. Only three hundred
Jews reside in Oradea today. In the center of the city, on the
river bank and towering over other buildings in the area, is the
large Neolog Temple Synagogue built in 1878. The unusual cube-shaped
synagogue with its large cupola is one of the largest in Romania.
Inside there is a large organ and stucco decorations. In 1891,
the Orthodox community also built a complex of buildings including
two synagogues and a community center.
Descendants of the pre-Holocaust hasidic rabbinate in Oradea established
a synagogue in the Willowbrook area of Staten Island, New York.
The synagogue maintains both a traditional hasidic Nusach Sefard
and a Nusach Ashkenaz service, the latter of which operates under
the name Bais Medrash Igud Avreichim of Groisverdain (the Yiddish
pronunciation of Grosswardein).
Turda; German: Thorenburg; Hungarian:
Torda; historical name: Potaissa) is a city and Municipality in Cluj
County, Romania, situated on the Arieş River.
The city was founded by Dacians under the name Patavissa or Potaissa
(most frequently confirmed). It was conquered by the Romans, between
AD 101 and 106, during the rule of Trajan, together with parts of
The name Potaissa is first recorded on a Roman milliarium discovered
in 1758 in the nearby Aiton commune.
Milliarium of Aiton is an ancient
Roman milestone dating from 108 AD, shortly after the Roman conquest
of Dacia, and showing the construction of the road from Potaissa
to Napoca, by demand of the Emperor Trajan. It indicates the distance
of ten thousand feet (P.M.X.) to Potaissa. This is the first epigraphical
attestation of the settlements of Potaissa and Napoca in Roman Dacia.
The castrum established was named Potaissa too and became a municipium,
then a colonia. Potaissa was the basecamp of the Legio V Macedonica
from 166 to 274.
The Potaissa salt mines were worked in the area since prehistoric
Middle Ages After the Hungarian conquest, the Turda salt mines were first mentioned
in 1075. They were closed in 1932 but have recently been reopened
Saxons settled in the area in the 11th century. The town was destroyed
during the Tartar invasion in 1241-1242. Andrew III of Hungary gave
royal privileges to the settlement. These privileges were later confirmed
by the Angevins of Hungary.
The Hungarian Diet was held here in 1467, by Matthias Corvinus. Later,
in the 16th century, Turda was often the residence of the Transylvanian
Diet, too. The 1558 Diet of Turda declared free practice of both
the Catholic and Lutheran religions. In 1563 the Diet also accepted
the Calvinist religion, and in 1568 it extended freedom to all religions,
declaring that "It is not allowed to anybody to intimidate anybody
with captivity or expelling for his religion" – a freedom unusual
in medieval Europe. This Edict of Turda is the first attempt at legislating
general religious freedom in Christian Europe (though its legal effectiveness
In 1609 Gabriel Báthori granted new privileges to Turda. These were
confirmed later by Gabriel Bethlen. In the battle of Turda, Ahmed
Pasha defeated George II Rákóczi in 1659.
Modern times In 1944, the Battle of Turda took place here, between German and
Hungarian forces on one side and Soviet and Romanian forces on the
other. It was the largest battle fought in Transylvania during World